Date:      Mon, 7 Mar 2016 12:54:12 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel Brasswell, NUC, iGPU and VESA driver on CURRENT

We got a bunch of new hardware for certain purposes and equipted with modern
CPUs and iGPUs. FreeBSD still lacks in kernel support for Intel CPUs beyond
IvyBridge based iGPUs or moderate modern GPUs dur to some KMS issues. On three
years old hardware with Intel Haswell and HD4XXX iGPU I still use the VESA
driver running X11 (very poor performance). Now, on Braswell and Boradwell
settop boxes, I'd like to use also VESA driver to have graphical support.

The boxes are all booted via UEFI!

Starting VESA fails with something like:

[...]
(II) VESA(0): initializing int10
(EE) VESA(0): V_BIOS address 0x0 out of range
(II) UnloadModule: vesa
[...]

Google says this is probably due to UEFI not getting the correct hardware
informations, but since I have a high-resolution console (vt()), I guess the
FBSD kernel knows about the EFI support?

Is there a solution with VESA for that issue?

This problem is with all barebone PCs I use, a Intel NUC with N3050 CPU and a
Zotac Mini with recent Boradwell CPU.

Please CC me!

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards,

Oliver