Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2012 06:17:25 +1000
From:      Petrus <petrus4@tpg.com.au>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request for advice

Hello,
I'm currently planning on taking the BSD Association certification, as
described here.  (http://www.bsdcertification.org/)

Although I am primarily doing so for personal, rather than economic
reasons, I did want to ask whether or not it possibly *would* add to a
resume, in the opinions of people here.  As much as I've loved using
FreeBSD myself, I've been looking for trend and market share numbers on
the Web recently, and what I've found has been fairly depressing; the
indication usually seems to be a gradual, long term decline of the three
major BSDs, with virtually all UNIX market share moving in the direction
of Debian Linux.  With that said, I've also noticed that FreeBSD is
still visible on Netcraft's list of the most reliable ISPs.

I consider this tragic, because after close to 15 years of at least
intermittent use of both systems, I have developed a belief that FreeBSD
is vastly technically superior to any form of Linux that I have used,
including Debian.

So I wanted to ask; how possible is it still, to become gainfully
employed as a BSD administrator?  Once I have the BSD certification,
will it be necessary to concede to reality, and also seek certification
in Linux as well?  I have long considered that idea, but the problem is
that Linux training generally costs a minimum of $2,000, and I do not
have that type of money available.