Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 18:10:00 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, perlsta@sunyit.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: implementing linux's clone()

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Without quantum affinity, thread group affinity, the value of using
> kernel threading vs. call conversion threading is higly questionable,
> IMO.

For FreeBSD, though, kernel threading avoids the problem with drivers
not supporting a non-blocking interface.

> Personally, I would be *very* happy to see even a user space pthreads
> brought up to draft 10 (the final POSIX draft).

No, not draft 10. ISO/IEC 9945-1 ANSI/IEEE Std 1003.1 Second Edition
1996-012-12 as published. I have that sitting on the desk next to me,
so I'll update the user-space threads to match the kernel thread
implementation. I need to continue using the user-space threads
on FreeBSD/Alpha for the forseeable future (unless someone wants to
whack kernel threads into NetBSD's alpha kernel).

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137