Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 06:50:33 +0000
From:      jomor <jomor@ahpcns.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vanilla natd setup faq

I'm assuming your DSL router is in "bridging" mode since yiu're using a
default outer assigned by pac-bell. Why are you using the dynamic flag for
natd if your are setting the address in rc.conf? You should only use this
if  the nat/bsd box is doing  DHCP.
Can your windows box ping the bsd box when it's on the private side of the
bsd box? Are the "link" LEDs on the NICs lit? you need to be using
cross-over cables between the two boxes if there isn't a hub between them.

Try using the "minimal" rc.firewall rule set from the tutorial instead of
the default. I had problems until I put the nat rules AFTER the loopback
rules.
                    HTH    ...jgm