Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:20:55 +0200
From:      "Juan L. Freniche" <jlfreniche@acm.org>
To:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Support for 3COM 905-5

Is this chip (3COM Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C905-5) supported?

I am using 2.2.7 and the chip is not seen by the kernel (driver vx).
When reading the code (/src/sys/pci/if_vx_pci.c), the following
signatures are supported:

3COM Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C905 for device_id 905010b7 and for
device_id 905110b7 (and others for 3C590 and 3C900).

However, the device_id reported by the chip in my office's PC (a Dell
Optiplex GX1, but don't buy it!) is:

905510b7

which is not seen by the vx driver at boot time.

I tried (of course) to lie to the kernel by inserting this new device_id
in if_vx_pci.c. The kernel see now the device, I can configure it
(ifconfig), but when I start to send/receive frames, FreeBSD hangs up.

--
Juan L. Freniche