Date:      Thu, 28 May 2009 09:10:50 +0200
From:      Mikael Bak <mikael@t-online.hu>
To:        =?ISO-8859-2?Q?G=F3t_Andr=E1s?= <andrej@antiszoc.hu>,  pertti.kosunen@pp.nic.fi
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PXE boot FreeBSD without need of NFS server

Pertti, András,
Thank You for the useful links!
Kiitos and Köszönöm szépen :-)

Gót András wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFAIK only the kernel and initrd (in the linux case) can be booted from
> tftp, that's a PXE feature. When the kernel loaded it takes over and from
> then on the kernel will need a rootfs from somewhere. I don't think that a
> tftp rootfs is possible.

Yes, I know it's not possible to have the rootfs on tftp. That is not my
 goal. I only wish to host an image file containing a rootfs that will
act as a ram disk. Much like the initrd does in the Linux world. The
rootfs will only contain the things needed to start the installation
process.

I think I have the information I was looking for.
Thanks again!

Mikael