Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:36:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Nicole Harrington." <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: How many files can I put in one diretory?

On 22-Jun-00 Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 22-Jun-00 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>>  that sounds insane! Because a name is a name, why dont they call
>>  those files xx/yy/zz/tt.html and the like, to get down to a more
>>  reasonable # of files per directory.
>>
>>  Or use a single file and a cgi which extracts things from the right place.
>>  In such a context, i assume that the best place to do the name lookup
>>  is in the app, not in the kernel.
>
> Yeah.. This is why databases where invented :)

 Hey I agree... However even if the html was databased.. (working on that now)
the custom graphics cannot be. (yet)

> FYI 40000 in a directory really makes directory listings slow.. 2 million
> would suck :)

 Well.. Yea. But assuming you are using Apache and requesting the page and
graphics via a fully formed URL it should be pretty high.. I would assume.

   Nicole

> ---
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>   -- Andrew Tanenbaum

 nicole@unixgirl.com         |\ __ /|   (`\   http://www.unixgirl.com/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org | o_o  |__  ) )  http://www.dangermouse.org/