Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 18:58:20 -0600
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        johnny@hoss.rouge.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install Problems

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.5 on a
>
>                 1-Pentium 200
>                 2-128MB RAM
>                 3-Conner 4GB SCSI Drive
>                 4-Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI Controller
>                 5-ACER CD-ROM
>
> I am booting from a Dos Partition and moving to the CD-ROM
> and executing INSTALL. It comes up, it recognizes the processor,
> only 64MB of RAM, the adaptec scsi conroller (but says no controller
> assigned) and the cdrom. Can someone please help me out a little?

The RAM problem is easy to fix, once you've installed.  Just
look add a MAXMEM=(128*1024*1024) option when you reconfig
and rebuild a kernel.

Your Adaptec SCSI controller not being recognized might be
that it is a 2940AU.  Support for this controller didn't make
it in to FreeBSD-2.1.5.  It is supported in FreeBSD 2.1.6
and subsequent, though.

Hmm, what do you mean when iyou say that the SCSI controller
is recognized, but not assigned?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org