Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:47:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RFC: IPFW-DIVERT change. WAS:[ipfw rules processing order..]

Sort of a separate issue, but ...

While it depends on your plans for divert sockets, in the current
motif I prefer the full ruleset be rescanned and processed.  As previous
noted, the simple semantics (hopefully) make it harder to confuse the
user.

Avoiding this additional confusion is desirable if you follow my personal
rules for the use of divert rules:

	Inserting a divert rule for _inbound_ packets only near
	the top of the file.  (It may be possible to limit the
	diverted port range, at least on my system, to 1024-65K;
	I have not looked at this in detail, but it would help inbound
	SMTP traffic.)

	Dropping the "setup" keyword from numerous TCP well-known port
	rules (WWW is most important, SMTP doesn't use its well-known
	port for most _outbound_ traffic.)

	Moving the "pass tcp from any to any established" rule after the
	well-known port TCP rules.

	Inserting the outbound packwet divert rule immediately before
	the above "established" rule.

With this configuration on a true firewall system running both a
lot of services on well-known ports and natd, natd is bypassed for
the bulk of the locally generated outbound traffic with resulting
lower CPU usage.

Of course, no firewall with natd should be for the faint hearted.

-ahd-