Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 09:03:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to share accounts between mail/pop and web servers?

On 5 Oct 1998, Chris Shenton wrote:
> I'm not keen on NIS, due to security concerns.  In other situations,
> I've used "rsync" over "ssh" with host key authentication and it's
> worked well. I've never used it for /etc/passwd and I'm concerned
> about stuff like failed updates or partial updates leaving the send-to
> box with a corrupt /etc/passwd, preventing everyone (including root)
> access.
>
> What have you used that works well for you?

Try this in a script running on the receiving end.  Copy
master.passwd to someplace other than /etc, say /root/pwd,
and then test before installing.

if [ -f master.passwd ]
then
    if /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -c master.passwd
    then
        chmod 600 master.passwd
        mv master.passwd /etc
        /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd
    fi
fi

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, a California corporation        dan@dpcsys.com