Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 18:46:43 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.zipnet.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/1666: consistent crash in /usr/bin/vi

>Number:         1666
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       crash in vi, while reading multiple files
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE i386
>Environment:

	Same bug exists in the August snapshot -- did not seem to change
	since
		Version 1.34, Wed Aug 17 14:37:48 1994
		The CSRG, University of California, Berkeley.

	The files I attempted to edit are as follows:
	-rw-------  1 mi    bin  262 Aug 14 22:10 /tmp/est.15658
	-rw-------  1 root  bin  100 Aug  9 22:12 /tmp/est.3042

	being a humble `mi' without root's privileges, I get a
	"permission denied" error from vi, when I attempt to use the
	`:n' command. My next stupid `:n' will crash vi with a seg-fault
	(I guess, list of files to be edited has ended with NULL, but the
	second file is still marked as not-looked-at or smth, because an
	attempt to read it failed).

>How-To-Repeat:

	cd /tmp
	touch q w
	chmod 600 q w
	su
	chown root w
	exit
	vi q w
	:n
	:n

>Fix:

	Avoid looking at files unreadable to you :)