Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 22:12:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Terry Todd <tlt@tltodd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web shell

A few days ago I asked:

>Has anyone built a web based shell interface?
>
>My local library has recently turned off telnet on their
>systems but still allow patrons to use a web browser.  It
>would be useful to be able to access my system at home via a
>web browser that presented a shell interface so their silly
>rule could be bypassed.

I had a chance to get over to the library and try a couple things tonight.
I summarize the responses I got from here and my opinions of how things
worked at the library:

TELNET URL:

>Try the URL:   telnet://name.of.a.host/
>
>Try adding a telnet:// URL to your web page...Then you can click on it and
>be telnetted to wherever, assuming the web browser is set up right.

Tried this and it did not work.  The libraries browser did not have the
telnet app configured in at all.  I figured as much.

JAVA BASED WEB SHELL:

>I've heard of a Java telnet client you can setup Server side.
>I'm not big on java, so I can't tell you anything more...
>
>Hyperhost
>http://www.hyperhost.net

No working example and looked way to complicated anyway.

WEBRSH:

>You will like WebRSH which provides a web based shell (+much more). See
>
>        http://appindex.freshmeat.net/view/900388118/
>
>for more info.

No working example that I could find.  Some screen shots though.

VNC:

>I'd suggest you take a look at VNC
>http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/
>
>That might be a solution for you.

No working example and way to complicated for what I want to do.

RIVERMOO:

>	Take a look at http://rivermoo.com:8889/ for some people who have
>done exactly this for the same reason. :) You'll probally have to modify
>their code some as it's rather specialized, but that's the only way I
>know to do what you want.

Nice working example.  It worked from the library but not from my system
at home.

ACME:

>Check out http://www.acme.com/cmd
>
>Type "uname -a" while you're in there...

A working example that needs more work.  I was able to login as
'guest' but only by tricking it.  I could type on the line to
enter text on but it would not accept the 'enter' key to send the
data.  I had to go to the URL line and press 'enter' there for it to
think about it.

Has anyone put /bin/sh into a cgi script?  Would this work?  With some
tweaks?

Thanks for the replies.

Terry Todd