Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:02:42 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'SHUDO Kazuyuki' <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Testing...

> > I was wondering how you test that your JIT works properly.
> > Would you mind telling me a little more about that?
>
> I rely on a small set of test code I've developed. And
> Mauve has been applied to shuJIT several times. I'd like
> to contribute to Mauve with my own test suite, but I
> have had no time to do it.

I think (as you do, obviously) that Mauve is an excellent focal point for
tests. HP is contributing and many of the other Java implementations use it.
It's not complete in that it mainly tests the API and not for example byte
code execution, so you tests may be quite valuable for Mauve.

> Mauve is definitely insufficient in quantity of test
> only commercial licensees of the Sun JDK.

That's what I found. Mauve is not a complete test suite and parts of it
won't even compile under JDK 1.2.2.

Also, I don't think that if I e-mail Sun now they'd let me have their JCK
for free. It seems it's rather an expensive operation.

> Complete test suite is very important for development of
> Java runtime such as JVM, JIT and AOT compilers. I have
> to claim the importance.

I agree. On the other hand, given that we won't have short term access to
the JCK, the JDK itself runs on various platforms and thus already gets
tested with the JCK. Given the number of people that will be running
applications on our port, I believe that we will get quite extensive
coverage. We know what the problem areas are with the Linux JDK and that too
will allow us to test specific areas.

My plan was to give rather big publicity to the moment that Greg tags the
port as "alpha stage" and when we offer a binary package for download.
Hopefully many people will respond by downloading and running the JDK and
testing it for us.

    Kees Jan