Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:51:32 +0100
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   X related scripts in Xclients ports

Hi,
after a time working with my xdm script (/etc/rc.d/0xdm) I think it's
time to go send-pr

In the actual status, I don't feel too much confortable with the xdm
script in the base system of HEAD, so I think the good way maybe add
${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/${script}.sh and make this use etc/rc.subr.

My actual candidates are:

As part of client packages:
${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/xdm.sh
XDM_ENABLE
 [No] | YES
XDM_PROGRAM
 [${X11BASE}/bin/xdm] | ${X11BASE}/bin/gdm | ${LOCALBASE}/bin/kdm

As part of server packages:
${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d/000.x11tmp.sh
X11_TMP_CLEAN
 [YES] | NO

iDon't install any script with x11/gdm2 and print instructions to use
XDM_ENABLE and XDM_PROGRAM to make gdm launch.

The move will end with instructions in x11/kdebase3 pkg-message to use
same vars.

Also noted that going to scripts (actual gdm and future xdm) can
generate race conditions between init gettys and xdm.

The safe option I found is use fixed vts with xdm Xserver (vt9), but I'm
not sure how do that with gdm

Any comments on this are welcome.

--
  josemi