Date:      Tue, 12 May 2015 07:48:28 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Ralf Wenk <iz-rpi03@hs-karlsruhe.de>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: state of FreeBSD ARM (less stable than 6 months ago)

On Tue, 2015-05-12 at 08:45 +0200, Ralf Wenk wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2015, at 21:47:37, Dan Raymond wrote:
> > >>
> > > RPi2 support is something like less than a week old for SMP and DMA
> > > transport. I'm not sure more than a handful of people have actually
> > > tried it yet. The bugs here will be worked out in time, but if you have
> > > any core dumps or info that can assist in tracking down issues you're
> > > experiencing that would certainly be appreciated.
> > >

> > These panics always seem to be mmcsd related.  I doubt it has anything
> > to do with RPi2 or SMP.
> >
> > sdhci_bcm0-slot0:  Controller timeout
> > sdhci_bcm0-slot0: ============== REGISTER DUMP ==============
> > sdhci_bcm0-slot0: Sys addr: 0x4d295a00 | Version:  0x00009902
> > sdhci_bcm0-slot0: Blk size: 0x00000200 | Blk cnt:  0x00000020
> > sdhci_bcm0-slot0: Argument: 0x002d19c0 | Trn mode: 0x0000193a
> > sdhci_bcm0-slot0: Present:  0x01ff0506 | Host ctl: 0x00000003
> > sdhci_bcm0-slot0: Power:    0x0000000f | Blk gap:  0x00000000
> > sdhci_bcm0-slot0: Wake-up:  0x00000000 | Clock:    0x00000507
> > sdhci_bcm0-slot0: Timeout:  0x0000000e | Int stat: 0x00000010
> > sdhci_b
> >

> > mmcsd0: Error indicated: 1 Timeout
> > g_vfs_done():mmcsd0s2a[WRITE(offset=1460830208, length=24576)]error = 5
> > panic: No b_bufobj 0xd767ca00
> > cpuid = 1
> > KDB: enter: panic
> > [ thread pid 12 tid 100013 ]
> > Stopped at      $d.7:   ldrb   r15, [r15, r15, ror r15]!
> > db>
>
> I see such panics every two to three months. They happen on a RPi B
> and RPi B+ as well. I have tried different the SD-Cards on the B and
> the B+ of course. So I think it is not related to SD-card, manufacturer
> or RPi board.
>
> Usually they happen in the middle of the night when syslogd(8) tries to
> write something. I have never seen them happen when the RPi has some work
> to do, e.g. is compiling a port.
>
> Continuing out of the debugger prints the usual messages, but on reboot
> the RPi freeze. Only a power cycle will get it back to operating.
>
> Very often after such a panic happened my RPi gets "unstable" and panics
> within the next 48 hours again with the same cause. I found out that, if
> that happened  and I force an fsck ignoring the journal there will be some
> minor issue fixed and the RPi is stable again. For the next 2 or 3 months.
>

> Ralf

IMO, the moral of that story is: Never use softupdates with journaling
enabled.  For years there have been reports on the mailing lists of fsck
failures when journaling is enabled (not arm-specific).  Sometimes a few
months goes by without a report and you wonder if it got fixed with some
checkin you didn't notice, then the reports crop up again.  My
conclusion is that journalling has never really worked right.

The only advantage of journaling is to speed up fsck on huge
filesystems.  An sdcard with a handful of GB isn't huge.

-- Ian