Date:      Thu, 22 May 1997 21:32:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@apfel.de>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compress handbook & FAQ

On Fri, 23 May 1997, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> Annelise Anderson writes:
> >> I think we should commpress the handbook and the FAQ
> >> by default. Comments?
> >
> >As one who came to FreeBSD without knowing unix not so long ago, I
> >think the basic documents should be available (both on the hard drive
> >and on www.freebsd.org) in uncompressed plain text.
>
> Currently we ship the handbook in ascii *and* latin1 format.
> handbook.latin1 and handbook.ascii are more or less equal and this
> waste 1MB hard disk. I vote for killing the latin version, because
> latin1 seems still a problem for DOS/russian users.

I don't think there's an ascii version on my 2.2.1 cd, but maybe I
missed it--or it's compressed.

> >Last time I looked, www.freebsd.org claims to offer the handbook and
> >FAQ in plain text, but it does not.
>
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/docs
>
> If the ^H is a problem, you can easy remove the ^H with perl
>
> 	 perl -npe 's/.\010//g' < handbook.ascii

Isn't it really preposterous to offer nifty little perl scripts to
people who are downloading the handbook in ascii because they're
thinking of (possibly) installing it?

Anyway, I think handbook.ascii has already had the ^H removed, and
instead there are just multiple letters and the t_e_x_t stuff.

One way to get a readable version is to use the postscript version,
convert it with ps2ascii, run it through col -b, use fmt on it, and
then (in the event your display isn't iso-8859-1), do some global
substitutions so that hyphens don't look like upside-down-exclamation
points and the centered dots used to mark paragraphs don't look like
box-drawing characters.

Is that really what users should have to do?

I don't know of an iso-8859-1 code page for dos (or Windows 3.1--
there may be one for Windows 95).  The 850 codepage (the European
and French Canadian default) is closer than the U.S. default
(codepage 437) but not really compliant--and pretty nasty to install.
So I'd agree with getting rid of the latin1 version.

	Annelise