Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 01:04:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NIS/YP subnets and slave servers

I'm unsuccessfully trying to start up an NIS slave server on a different
subnet from the working NIS master.  The master is on 192.168.1.1 and the
slave is on 192.168.2.1 and they can see each other fine (ping/traceroute/
DNS entries).

First I made the slave bind to the master.  I tried

    ypbind -S mydomain,master.domain.com

because I was trying not to use ypset.  However, the only way I could make
the slave bind to the master was to use ypset, a la

    ypbind -ypsetme
    ypset master.domain.com

Is there a way to get these computers to talk to one another without using
ypset?  I thought that's what the -S flag in ypbind was for!

Then I added slave.domain.com to /var/yp/ypservers on the master.  Then I
ran ypserv on the slave, touched /var/yp/master.passwd on the master, and
ran make on the master.  The master and slave don't want to talk.  On the
slave, an error message appears:

    slave ypserv[630]: couldn't find master for map
master.passwd.byname@mydomain
    slave ypserv[630]: host at master.domain.com (192.168.1.1) may be
pulling my leg

This is repeated for all the maps.  Does this mean that the master and
slave are not authorized to talk to one another?

I also have /var/yp/securenets on each machine:

    127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
    192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0

But this doesn't seem to help.  I feel I must be missing something
obvious.  A search of the questions archive yielded a bunch of questions
asked, but no real answers given.

Thanks for your input.  I don't want to buy a used Sparc just yet.  Heh.
Everyone else I've asked about this says, "Doesn't ypinit take care of
that?"  When I reply that there's no ypinit in FreeBSD, they are also at a
loss, as am I.

dw
--
A bug in my MUA causes news.announce.newusers                            font
to be sent to beneficiaries and senders of UCE/SPAM.                        @