Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 20:21:38 +1100
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@aims.com.au>
To:        "'Nate Williams'" <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

Howdy,

As a follow-up, I've just checked the newreno setting on the boxes I
experienced the problems with - newreno is on.
I'll try turning it off and see if I experience any problems. BTW, what does
it do exactly?
Also, a query on my timesheets shows that I had the same FTP problems on a
FreeBSD 3.2 box with the dc driver talking to an NT4 Terminal Server with
onboard Intel 8255x controller via a 10/100 hub (full duplex), and also a
FreeBSD 4.0 box with the rl driver talking to an NT4 Terminal Server with
onboard Intel 8255x controller via a 10Mbit/s hub (full duplex). Disabling
autonegotiation on the FreeBSD NIC fixed it. Only FTP was affected in both
cases - SMTP, HTTP and SSH were all fine.
It's beginning to look like a full duplex and autonegotiation problem.
I hope this is of help to someone.

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.aims.com.au