Date:      Wed, 27 May 2015 20:00:02 -0400
From:      Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASLR work into -HEAD ?

--nextPart2333400.9eqfPmJx2M

On Wednesday, 27 May 2015 17:37:06 Warner Losh wrote:
> > On May 27, 2015, at 10:25 AM, Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.or=
g>
> > wrote: Good. I'd rather focus on code rather than pointless politic=
s.
>=20
> But then=E2=80=A6
>=20
> > Our patch is more complex due to per-jail support and the various
> > weaknesses FreeBSD wanted us to add. HardenedBSD's implementation d=
oes
> > not contain those weaknesses.
>=20
> You=E2=80=99ll get more flies with honey than vinegar.
>=20
> And FreeBSD didn=E2=80=99t want you to do anything. Certain people wa=
nted certain
> features or changes. Perhaps you could be more specific, since this k=
ind of
> carping is totally unhelpful.

At the FreeBSD Developer Summit at EuroBSDCon 2014, Ed Maste said on be=
half of=20
the FreeBSD Foundation that he (and by extension, the Foundation) would=
 block=20
the ASLR patch from being merged into HEAD if we didn't provide a mecha=
nism=20
for disabling ASLR as a non-root user on a per-binary basis.

I begrudgingly committed a first draft of the API on 26 Sep 2014 to our=
=20
upstreaming branch[1]. Further changes were made to clean up the=20
implementation a bit within a few days. This rather silly "feature" was=
=20
included in the next patch update to the review on Phabricator.

This, of course, is a vast weakness that can be easily abused. So we've=
 made=20
sure not to have this in HardenedBSD. Want to debug an application with=
 ASLR=20
turned off? Set the sysctl to turn it off. Or use secadm to disable ASL=
R for=20
that application. Usage of secadm requires root privileges and works on=
 a per-
jail basis, just like our sysctls that control ASLR.

[1]:=20
https://github.com/HardenedBSD/hardenedBSD/commit/0e6726c5606c9055951be=
a44ff4a6fca8a79329c

=2D-=20
Shawn Webb
HardenedBSD

GPG Key ID:                0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE