Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 01:39:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Andy Dills <andy@xecu.net>
Cc:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>, Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maxtor 40GB HD

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Andy Dills wrote:

> It has to be the ide driver, because even with small (<20GB) partitions,
> the machine would panic and reboot after about 3 hours, with uncorrectable
> drive errors, requiring a full reinstall.

Others have also pointed out the IDE driver as the probable suspect.
But I'd like to point out that your problems with <20GB partitions most
likely has some other cause. I've got a 25GB IBM UltraATA66 drive with a
single 25GB partition running with no errors. The system had an uptime of
over 15 days with no error before I had to shut it down and move it.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )