Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 09:36:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Triton chipset with 256k cache caches 32M only?

Joe Greco writes:

> >     I've got two machine with moderately fast CPUs in them.  One
> > is a Cyrix 6x86 120+ (@100Mhz), and the other is a P90 (clocked
> > to 100Mhz).  When I have 40M in the machines, the upper 8M is not
> > cached, and my performance is roughly 2/3 of that when they just
> > have 32M and all of the memory is cached.

> >     Does anyone know for sure whether or not 256K cache Triton
> > chipsets only cache up to 32M?  Anyone know what I can do to get
> > the other 8M cached as well?  I'd really like to have that extra
> > 8M in there, but at 2/3 the performance, it aint gonna happen.
> > Any help is greatly appreciated!

> My impression was 64M, based on past discussions with Rod Grimes.

	Hmm.  That would then imply that there's something wrong
with each of these boards, or that the manufacturer is lazy.
Does anyone know if going to 512K cache will allow me to cache on
all 40M ram?  Thanks!

-matt

PS - sorry for the crosspost to hardware, but I'd really like to
get an answer on this issue.

--
Matthew C. Mead

mmead@Glock.COM