Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 1997 08:46:43 -0700
From:      Jason Liao <jasonl@xinetron.com>
To:        Steve Davidson <stevedav@netcom.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 2.2.2 fails to probe the 'sio' ports?

There is a BIOS update (dated 08/26/97) at
http://ftp.iwill.com.tw/p55xb2dl.htm . However, I don't know if it can
solve the problem.

--Jason
-------------------------------------
During the bootup probe (and from 'dmesg'), I get:

sio0 not found at 0x3f8
sio1 not found at 0x2f8

and no serial port activity works, e.g. tip hw (with /dev/cuaa0).

The BIOS shows this hardware to be present at the appropriate
addresses and IRQs (both at BIOS config and during startup).
But Freebsd 2.2.2 cannot successfully probe it.

I have a recently-purchased Iwill P55XB2 motherboard
with Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG.

All extraneous cards have been pulled and the ports work
perfectly under MS-DOS 6.22.

There are no internal serial-like cards (i.e. a modem).

Anyone have any ideas?

Steve

--
Jason Liao