Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:20:05 +0100
From:      Oliver Schonefeld <oschonef@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java for FreeBSD

Eines schoenen Tages schrieb Greg Lewis:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 06:29:22PM +0100, Alex wrote:
> > Is there away to install JDK 1.3+ without X?
>
> Not from the port.  It needs to be built on a machine with X, but once
> you've done that you can create a package and move it to other machines
> you have without X.  The SCSL doesn't stop you doing this internally,
> you just can't distribute the binary to others.

Unfortunaly if using stuff from AWT, it needs X installed, or you will get
an java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError, because it cannot find X libraries.

I got this Error when using java.awt.Dimension (and only that) in my program
on a machine without installed X libraries. My workaround was to avoid
any java.awt stuff and store my dimension stuff in two int vars.

The jdk13 was built on a different machine and installed as a package.

Regards,
Oliver Schonefeld

P.S. anyways ... great job porting java. keep up the good work :)