Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:17:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        <net@freebsd.org>, <misc@openbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Looking for tiny DNS server

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Wes Peters wrote:

> I need a tiny DNS server I can hack up.  When our router/firewall/gateway is
> in "first birthday" mode, it doesn't yet have a connection to the internet.
> We'd like to run a DNS server on the box that resolves ALL DNS A requests
> from the internal LAN to the internal address of our box until we have the
> public interface up.  At this time, we'll configured named and kill the tiny
> DNS server.
>
> If you know of such a server available under a reasonable license, or know
> of some clever named hacks that will allow me to do the same, I'm all ears.
> Or SMTP ports, I guess.

Take a look at:  http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html  Easy to configure, if
there's an error in the config file it won't die (it just tells you
and keeps the previous info), and there's no need to go back to named
when you get the public interface up.   It's probably in ports/packages
but as easy as it is to set up you're probably better off from sources.

Vince.
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking