Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:14:37 +0200
From:      Marko Zec <zec@icir.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>, Marko Zec <zec@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 127942 for review

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 02:49:24 Julian Elischer wrote:
> question:
>
> can processes in two vimages communicate if they both have access
> to the same named pipe/fifo in the filesystem?

Yes, provided that they open the fifo while they would be both attached
to the same vnet.  Once the sockets would become open the processes
could reassociate to arbitrary vimages, while the sockets would remain
bound to their original vnets for their entire lifetime duration.

As an alternative, we could / should introduce an extended socket()
syscall where an additional argument would explicitly specify to which
vimage/vnet the new socket should belong.

Marko