Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:05:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, roam@ringlet.net, msmith@freebsd.org, rnordier@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does boot1 still have a > 1023 cyl limit?

>> Umm, ok.  Did you do 'disklabel -B' to update the boot blocks on the disk
>> (the
>> boot blocks do _not_ live in the /boot files, they are part of the
>> disklabel)
>> when you updated the boot1 in bootsect.bsd?
>
> That I didn't do. What do I need to do? I'm reading the man page and
> this is foreign country. This system was created at 4.2 and they were
> created for me at that point. I don't want to have to reset the ntldr
> butI could find the floppies to do a console recovery if I have to.
>
> Kent

'disklabel -B ad0' as root, where 'ad0' is the disk that boots FreeBSD and that
the root filesystem is on.  The files in /boot are sort of like the 'reference'
version of the boot blocks.  At the beginning of a FreeBSD slice is a 16-sector
disklabel that describes the 'a', 'e', 'f' partitions, etc.  The first sector
of that is boot1.  The second sector is the disklabel table itself, and the
remaining 14 sectors hold boot2.  Hope that makes sense.  Until you use
disklabel to update those boot blocks at the start of the slice, you are still
using the old boot1 and boot2.  However, you are using the ntldr which gets
boot1 from somewhere else (not from the slice on the disk).  When you updated
that file, you ended up with mismatch since the new boot1 is still loading the
boot2 off of the front of the slice, thus you end up with a new boot1 and an
old boot2.