Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:37:21 +0000
From:      Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 12 Log Format

Hello,

I'm having some strange issues with the log format on one (only one of two.=
..) of my FreeBSD 12 installs.
Both of these were upgraded from a previous version as I had an older insta=
ller available, but are pretty much stock.

However, one of these is logging in a new format (I see references around t=
he commits to the inclusion of an rfc5424 format which seems to look very s=
imilar to what I'm seeing)

Dec 17 15:27:46 ftp 1 2018-12-17T15:27:46.576942+00:00 host.name.fqdn pkg-s=
tatic 75241 - - pkg-1.10.5_5 installed

As far as I'm aware, it shouldn't be doing this unless I specifically choos=
e to change the syslog format via rc.conf?
I really don't know what's going on as some logs such as maillog are still =
in the original format. It's not really a problem for me, I just can't unde=
rstand why I'm seeing this on one server, but not another.

The forum link below is mine, but there's also a GitHub issue regarding bas=
e ssh logs seeing the same problem. (It was actually trying to configure fa=
il2ban that got me looking at this in the first place)

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/freebsd-12-log-format-fail2ban-not-match=
ing.68806/#post-410670
https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/issues/2309

Just as another note, I started writing a fail2ban regex for this using the=
 5424 rfc, and as far as I can see there's a non-optional (at least I can't=
 see mention of optional in the spec)** PRI value which should be before th=
is version number, which doesn't appear to be there. Also of course the tim=
estamp and hostname is duplicated at the start, although I believe that was=
 kept on purpose.

** "The PRI part MUST have three, four, or five characters and will be boun=
d with angle brackets as the first and last characters."

Regards,
Matt Churchyard