Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:30:40 +0100
From:      Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on a Gateway Colorbook Laptop

Hi,

You could post on Freebsd-mobile, dedicated list for laptop users :).

It would be useful to know the ref of your combo-card, it would be
easier to tell you which driver to use.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think that your card is a 3C589* clone, FreeBSD
supports them with driver ep (pccard mode) or zp (no generic pccard
support activated).

A utilities disk is usually shipped with the card that allows you to
check irq and i/o adress used. Run it and note values. Once done, boot
on FreeBSD disks and on visual config, tweak zp driver to match values
previously noted. Continue boot process.

Hope it helps

Regards

Eric Masson

Peter Schwenk a écrit :

> I've recently become aware that the PAO project is being phased out
> (?).  In light of this, has anyone had any luck with getting any FreeBSD
> (I'd even try -current if it would work) installed and running on a
> Gateway Colorbook?  I've got one with 486DX4/75, 12MB RAM, a 250MB HD, a
> floppy, and a Gateway 14.4 modem (PCMCIA).  I borrowed a USRobotics
> (pre-3com takeover) combo 33.6 modem/10bt ethernet PCMCIA, because I
> wanted to install FreeBSD over the network.  The FreeBSD boot disks
> didn't seem to see the combo card.  Then again, I didn't know what
> driver to use.  Under Linux (couldn't get it installed either), an
> smc91c92.so module was loaded for the ethernet part of the card, if that
> gives anyone some clues.
>
> I just want to run FreeBSD, no X Windows.
>
> Any advice or instructions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
> Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware
> schwenk@math.udel.edu                            |  (302)831-0437 <-NEW!!!

Any opinions expressed above  | Murphy's Law Corollary :
are my own, not Kisoft's      | Murphy was an optimist.