Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:05:45 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh no. The Guns Debate (was Re: On "intelligent people" and

> Fanatics.
>
> > Try using a gun against that.
>
> You can't use a gun against fanatacism, unless you are fighting
> a single fanatic.  Even then, you can't use it until after you
> identify the fanatic, which you can't until after the fact (which
> is what makes them a fanatic, rather than "the stange guy who was
> always threatening people, so they locked him up").

Quite right. But most terrorists are fanatics.

> > would randomly go off in buses. Delhi's not regarded as totally
> > safe even crime-wise, but I've never been mugged or robbed at
> > gunpoint/knifepoint there, and don't personally know anyone who
> > has.
>
> They probably were afraid to mug you because you might be a
> terrorist, and kill them.

I don't think you're serious. If you are, it just proves my point
about the American gun culture.  Violent crime is not so common
here, and especially not on the streets -- though after around
9 pm or 10 pm (depending on which city) women may not want to
travel alone.  My impression on a couple of visits to Europe was
that the streets are mostly safe there too.

> Another part of it is the differential penalties for juvenile
> offenders.  Does Dehli have differential penalties for murder
> by a 16 year old vs. murder by an 18 year old?

I'm not sure, but probably.  In particular I doubt there's a
death sentence for minors.