Date:      Mon, 09 Jun 2003 20:08:51 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        gwschenk@socal.rr.com
Subject:   Re: Changing to a PS/2 keyboard after install

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 12:26:39 Gary Schenk <gwschenk@socal.rr.com> wrote:

>I installed FreeBSD on this machine which came with a USB keyboard and
>mouse. The keyboard has problems, and for various reasons, I'd like to
>replace it with a PS/2 keyboard. Only problem is I can't figure out how
>to do it.
>
>Getting a PS/2 mouse running was easy through sysinstall.
>
>Just plugging in the new keyboard did not work. After searching the web
>and mailing lists, I  thought that recompiling the kernel with  the
>following lines would work:
>
># atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
>device		atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD
>device		atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1  # flags 0x1
>device		psm0	at atkbdc? irq 12
>
>I commented out the flag 0x1 and recompiled and rebooted. That did not
>work either.
>
>As of now the only way I can see to get the PS/2 keyboard working is to
>reinstall. That seems like overkill. Does anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>Gary Schenk

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but there is a line in generic:
device		ukbd		# Keyboard
toward the end, under #USB Support. Have you already tried commenting that
out?

As a side note, the above PS/2 keyboard config. (yours) matches what I have
in my kernel. (with the flag.)

Good luck,
Clayton

PS. re-installing is overkill here; the answer must be simpler. Though it
may be quicker in the long run.