Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:09:33 +0100
From:      Filippo Natali <filippo.natali@widestore.net>
To:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Preparation for Plone2

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:34:28 +0800
Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 01:08 -0500, Tim Middleton wrote:
>
> > Good stuff. I was about to install the latest Plone 2 on a server just before
> > i read this. I was just going to do it manually... but had been thinking
> > someone really needs to make a port for it, even if it is plone-devel ...
>
> There is going to be a need for plone-devel soon (I'll take it), but
> I'll do it after plone2 is done.

I created a plone-devel port for upcoming Plone 2, but I never sent a pr because
I tought it was unnecessary :)

http://www.zope.it/Members/UlbabraB/Ports/plone-devel

Use it at your own risk and beware that it doesn't contains conflict checks with
www/plone port.

This ports checks if the Products needed by Plone are already installed (from
the ports or manually) and installs only those that are missing.

With the current architecture of my plone-devel port, if you want install a
product needed by Plone from ports, you must install first the product port
and then the plone-devel port.
I think I'll add a switch to choose if a Product must be installed from those
bundled with Plone or from ports as a dependancy.
Another option is to install the products only from ports (obviously if they are
included in ports tree :) ), but are we sure that future versions of these products
will not break Plone? For example Formulator 1.6.x breaks Plone 1.0.5.

> I'll keep working on my CMF/Plone ports, but I think, we might need some
> sort of HEADS UP announcement including publicising this python mailing
> list, to get everybody interested involved in this discussion.

Zope.org might be a good place for publicising our efforts and this list :)

Filippo Natali
--
Widestore srl
Via Borgo dei Leoni 70/F - 44100 Ferrara (Italy)