Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 18:35:12 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Maksim Stolyarov" <mns@td.lpi.ac.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printer and parallel port problems

> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:45:57 -0800
> From: Chris Warth <well.com!csw@td.lpi.ac.ru>
> Subject: printer and parallel port problems

> Greetings,

  Hi!

> I have a HP LJ-5MP (HP Postscript printer) hooked up to my parallel
> port under FreebSD 2.0.5.  I haven't been able to get this thing to
> print anything but demo pages and I've never seen any response
> (flashing LEDs, etc) that indicates it is even receiving data over the
> parallel port.

   DemoPages == SelfTest?! Standalone printer should do this. Without
   communications with your computer. The printer seems to be OK. :-)
   Cable (Centronix Interface, yes?):
   - Broken one (bad contacts, etc.). Try to find another.
   - Slightly WRONG one. Latest HP's goods assume FULL-duplex communica-
     tion with LPT port. Many printers we worked with before were
     HALF-duplex. The result is old LPT-cables are 18-wires ones but
     full-duplex protocol needs 25-wires cable (as I understand). I do not
     remember all these crazy names for IEE... standards. Try to find
     25-wires Centronix cable. (BTW, I spent several days for my
     HP Deskjet 660c (which is full-duplex) to make it work. I went for
     25w.
   LPT port:
   - maybe it does not understand <-> at the same time? How to check
     this I do not know :-( But very old LPT-ports definitely can not
     perform full-duplex communication. Great DOS gurus could help?!
   MANUAL:
   - I think there are huge number of options (too clever Printer!).
     Someting wrong with settings there?

> I've rebooted while the printer is connected to the port, used
> lptcontrol to switch to polled mode (instead of interrupt).  Still
> nothing seems to help.

   In interrupt mode the printer prints very SLOWLY (hour for simple
   .login in my case) but it *prints* nevertheless ...

> Can anyone suggest a simple test to see if the parallel port is even
> working?  In the meantime I'll try to load windows to see if that can
> talk nicely to the printer.

   Try cat .login > /dev/lpt0 (or where it is)

> Also, HP's documentation claims that the LJ-5MP will automatically
> work with either PCL or PostScript.  Does anyone know if that means
> the printer is ready to receive postscript at any time, or does it
> just mean that the drivers they supply for windows and macintosh put
> the printer into the right mode (through some undocumented PCL
> command) before printing?

   HP LaserJet 4M recognizes plain and PS files (by means of very
   Clever Mind :-). I.e. under DOS you simply  copy myps.ps prn
   and get the result (printed text or picture but not PS-file
   hardcopy).

   I have no ideas about PCL command for mode switching and how
   your printer will be recognized by Windows. If I remember right
   a month ago there was discussion on how to make HP LJ+PS work
   under FreeBSD (printcap, filters, CRLF-problem for HP, etc.)
   Try to seek in mail-archive at FreeBSD.ORG.

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

   Do not mention, maybe this will help a bit.

> -csw

   Regards,
							Maksim.

--
Maksim N. Stolyarov  -> mns@lpi.ac.ru <-  |  Vesso-Link pager
 Department of Theoretical Physics,       |  +7(095)974-0111, pager 4597