Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 13:39:44 +0200
From:      Dirk Froemberg <dirk@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL-3.23 port(s)

Hi Chris!

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:34:18AM -0400, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
> Since no one has submitted one yet, I put a copy of the MySQL-3.23
> (beta) port up at http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jedgar/mysql323.shar that we
> have been using locally here.  Since 3.23 has been in beta a bit, now is
> probably a good time to get a port going.
>
> These ports are based off the mysql322-[client|server] ports
> (repo-copy required before committing).  Transaction support using db3 is
> not enabled due to conflicts with the libc db support.  If anyone wants to
> make this work, feel free to use this as a starting point.
>
> Of course, most of the filenames conflict with previous mysql version.  To
> be noted: 3.23 has libmysqlclient.so.9, 3.22 had libmysqlclient.so.6.
>
> Also, I am not really interested in maintaining it (dirk, want it since
> you maintain the other MySQL ports?)...anyone else is welcome to it.
>
> Let me know of any problems...otherwise I will commit this (pending
> repo-copy) in the next few days.

I'm working on a port for mysql version 3.23.23, too. 8-)

IMHO mysql-3.23.x isn't ready for prime time, yet. But on the other
hand it would be nice to have it in the ports tree for testing
purposes.

The dependencies won't work (libmysqlclient.so.6 <-> libmysqlclient.so.9).
So we could either force libmysqlclient.so.9 to be libmysqlclient.so.6
with mysql323-client or change the dependencies to
BUILD_DEPENDS=mysql:mysql322-client e. g.

MIT_PTHREADS support isn't working for mysql-3.23.23 (same for your and
my port). Either we drop MIT_PTHREADS support (is anyone still using this?)
or we fix it.

I suggest I merge our ports and ask for a repository copy and commit it
when I have solution for the dependency problem. Ok?

	Regards Dirk

--
Dirk Froemberg

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!		http://www.FreeBSD.org/