Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 12:15:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH and Krb5, FreeBSD style...

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

> On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 09:04:43AM -0700, Peter Losher wrote:
> > First off, it shouldn't be looking at /usr/lib for any Kerberos libraries,
> > it should be looking at /usr/local/krb5/lib as defined in configure.  I
> > will go ahead and take a look at the Makefiles for SSH2, but is there any
> > way to prevent this 'mis-lookup'?
>
> This is  a bug in  SSH2's configure/build mechanism.  Sounds  like the
> author  neglected  to be  sure  that  if  you  specify where  to  find
> libraries, that you  feed those paths to the linker  first.  It is not
> uncommon.  Fix it, and send patches back to the author.

Good news - I finally got the OpenSSH client to do Kerberos on my
4.3-RELEASE box (My problem was that I uncommented almost all of the
Kerberos options, when only KerberosAuthenication was needed/supported)
Ticket Authenication seems to work fine doing 'ssh -1', 'ssh -2' goes to
password auth.

Bad news, UW-IMAP suffers from the same linker problem <sigh>.  Also, SSHD
refuses to take any Krb5 authentication, tkt or password.  I installed
pam_krb5 from ports, replaced the commented out Krb4 line under sshd with
one for pam_krb5.so, and now sshd segfaults whenever you type in a Kerberos
password. <sigh>

The joys of debugging - Any ideas?

-Peter
--