Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 17:02:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        andi@koala.rhein-neckar.de (Andreas Muck)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.x (CAM SCSI) and AMD 53c974 based SCSI adapters

Andreas Muck wrote...
> Hi
>
> I just got a new Dawicontrol-2974 PCI SCSI card to replace my old
> ISA-Adaptec. It's a pretty nice Fast-SCSI adapter based on the AMD
> 53c974 chip and it works great with the amd driver in 2.2.8.
>
> But now I read the release notes on 3.x and notice that it's not
> supported anymore by the new CAM SCSI subsystem. Are there any plans
> to add support for it soon or should I better return it while I still
> can? I'd prefer not to, cos I really like the little thing :)

A driver for the amd chips is an unadvertised feature of FreeBSD 3.3.  There
was no driver for the AMD 53c974 in FreeBSD 3.0-3.2.

It is unadvertised, because it still needs some work in the error recovery
department.

> Does one *have* to use CAM SCSI with FreeBSD 3.x or are the old
> drivers still available?

You either use CAM with 3.x, or stick with 2.2.x.  The old SCSI subsystem is
gone.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry