Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:06:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>, <admin@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject:   Re: passwd (still) broken in NIS environments

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Kal Torak wrote:
> passwd uses whatever format you specified in /etc/login.conf for that
> users login class...
> Since the default crypt has been changing around with export restrictions
> being lifted etc. You should just put that you want DES in there...
>
> put in the line ":passwd_format=des:\" under "default:\"

Thanks, that did it!

What really confuses me is that logging it had worked all the time;
just the passwd command on NIS clients broke. Weird, very weird.

While we are at it, how about adding
  default:\
        :passwd_format=md5:\
        :...
to /etc/login.conf to make clear that MD5 is now the default?

Yes, I had checked <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.2R/notes.html>, it's
just that the string MD5 does not appear on that page at all. :-( :-(

Thanks to all who helped!
Gerald