Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:35:18 +0800
From:      Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XEMACS20 with MULE

I have attempted to compile XEMACS20.3 with mule support, it required a couple
of mods to the Makefile to get it going. (To casue the xemacs-20.3-mule.tar.gz to
get downloaded)

The problem occurs if I install ports/chinese/big5fonts and load a file in BIG5
encoding method.  My S3 X-Server crashes with signal 8 followed by signal 6.
I tried VGA16 with same result.

I can load and edit a file in GB encoding with no problem.

If I delete the big5fonts package then no server crash.  The hello file now can be
loaded and displays Arabic, GB, Japaese, etc. with BIG5 replaced by Tilde chars.

As a second test I tried viewing some fonts with xfontsel, the GB font shows
Chinese characters in the window, but the BIG5 font shows only blank window.
I also had a server crash when trying to get xfontsel to show the 24 pixel BIG5 font.

I have not tried the font file from cxterm, but it also shows blank under xfontsel.

Does anyone know a font file that will work?

---
Christopher and Melody <hsw@acm.org>