Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 16:32:50 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: two cvsup problems

R Joseph Wright wrote:

> I've used cvsup a number of times successfully to update  my sources as
> well as the ports collection.  Last time I updated the ports I got a
> bunch of weird files with a *,v extension.  I can't make any ports now.

man cvsup, you will see a link to the CVSup web page, from there you
will get a link to the FAQ. Read it, you will find the answer:

     Assuming you want the most recent version of the sources, you
     simply need to add "tag=." to your supfile.

> Since my last ports update when I run cvsup I get this error message:
>
> Cannot get IP address of my own host -- is its hostname correct?
>
> I don't have a static IP address, I use a dialup account.

I have a dialup account, but have a static IP, perhaps you could find an
ISP which allows this. Anyway, this question doesn't seem to be in the
FAQ. I suggest you add your hostname (whatever you set it to in rc.conf,
you must have used something) to the "127.0.0.1" line in /etc/hosts,
e.g.

127.0.0.1	localhost freebsd.lan

or whatever name you chose.

> Where does the program go to look for my IP address?

It *probably* calls gethostbyname() on the string returned by
gethostname(), going from the error message, but I couldn't be sure of
this. If it does, it will look in /etc/hosts and the DNS, the order
being defined by /etc/host.conf (you probably want "hosts" before "bind"
in that file).

> Does it even need it?

Hmm... I don't know. If it does, I don't know why it can't call
getsockname() after connecting to the cvsup server, myself. I'm sure
there's a reason.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and