Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:50:27 +0000
From:      Joel CARNAT <joel.carnat@noos.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PING filtering

right ! done :)
everything's perfectly all right

for future knowledge (and future newbies like me :), here's what I did :

-1- compile new kernel with those options :
options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print information about
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    #limit verbosity
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT    #allow everything by default
-2- add the right FW rule :
/sbin/ipfw add deny log icmp from any to any via xl0 icmptype 8
-3- use syslog to watch who ping's me so that I may tune the rules later...
# IPFW logging :)
!ipfw
*.*                                             /var/log/ipfw.log

*** special thX :
*** Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
*** Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
*** lazy <lazy@daemons.aregreat.net>