Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:12:58 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
Cc:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree 4.3.0 / Xft font problems

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:49:33AM -0500, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> Where is that kind of thing documented?

[snip]

> So where are the various "font classes" (for want of a
> better term) "used?"  And how do I fix this stuff for (for
> examples) the Xft-enabled versions of other clients?

[snip]

> Would welcome faq/documentation pointers, both online & printed.

[snip]

Most of *my* questions where answered here:

http://www.xfree86.org/current/fonts.html
http://nexp.cs.pdx.edu/fontconfig/

unfortunately I found this *after* the damage had been done.

I suspect this document is also in the XFree86-4-doc port but I never
install that one (guess I should go back to RTFM, indeed).

> # This loads the Type1 and FreeType font modules
>     Load        "type1"
>     Load        "speedo"
>     Load        "freetype"
> #    Load        "xtt"

As described above, you actually *don't* want to load the type1 module.
As for the speedo fonts, I still don't know what they're for, I've never
needed them.

>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"

See remark above.

>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
> #    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
> #    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"

>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

For better fonts, ditch the Type 1 fonts, and the 2 lines above, because
you'll only get pretty scalable TrueType fonts. I don't even have the 75/100
dpi fonts but that leads to some problems when you don't have an appropriate
'helvetica' replacement that some apps, notably java, *really* want to have.

>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic/"
>     FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW/"

Can't comment on the last one, having never installed them, but they
are needed for Java I believe?

> <semi-rant>
> Complexities/oddities such as this are, I think,
> part of what hinders "public/PHB acceptance" of
> Unix/Linux/*BSD/opensource and keeps in place certain
> monopolies.  As a friend of mine says, "you have to have
> a Decoder Ring to run this stuff."
> </semi-rant>

Yes, this Xft/fontconfig stuff hasn't been documented as well as it could b=
e.
However I think this is really worth it. X and fonts has been really brain
damaged in the past and Xft is imho a pretty large step in the right
direction. Not only because of the anti-aliasing etc, but mostly because
it should Just Work for users wanting to install new fonts etc. I guess
all of these problems right now are just growing pains until everyone
is accomodated to the New Way(TM).

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday?

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0--