Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 1995 00:15:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      root <root@mikeperry.pr.mcs.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISP system?

I can't find the darn systems.faq so I'm going to bug you guys, sorry.
I wanna become an ISP (in a while, but I want to gather some info now).
I wanna set up a main sys, a news server, and a misc server.
Here's my outline (you'll see the point to this soon):

news.whatever.net:
 full usenet feeds
 2->4gig MODE 4 or Blue lightining hard drive
 420mb MODE 4 or " for swap memory
 P60 -> 75 PCI machine
 64 -> 128 EDO ram.
 FreeBSD (of course)
 Super fast ethr to main server

whatever.net:
 DUAL P133 processors in a PCI machine
 256 MB EDO ram.
 420mb MODE 4 or Blue lighting hard drive for swap
 1gig for apps (MODE 4/BL)
 2->4 gigs for user space.
 T1 or T3 into net.
 256k+ pipelined burst cache
 FreeBSD
  Will run:
   std shell logins only (from inet or direct from extras)

extras.whatever.net:
 P133 or P100 PCI
 32 -> 64 EDO ram
 420 swap
 1/2->1 gig for daemons
 high speed ethernet to main machine.
 FreeBSD
  Will run:
  POP3
  httpd
  wu-ftpd
  Nameserver
  Slip/PPPd
  Std modem/ISDN shell login

Now my ?'s are:
1. How many users do you think I run comfortably offa this config.
2. Do I have too much/too little disk and RAM (I heard a rumor that huge
 amounts of ram can bog a sys down.)
3. Are my choices for the machines vs what they run wise?
4. Is it possible to rebuild FreeBSD offa the cdrom discs? (I wanna -O3 the
 whole sys) Is it already optimised? And how much can I make in "one
 command" (as claims walnut creek cdrom co. "you can build the whole
 source tree in one command": what is considered the source tree? apps too?)
5. Any good books on ISPing you recomend?

                         Thanks alot,
                             Mike Perry

P.S. My first concern is computing power, not price.

----

You know you're cool when you forget how to shut down MS-Windows after
converting to UNIX.

If your reply bounces, try mikepery@mcs.com.