Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 09:56:45 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe" <thelab@nmarcom.com>
Cc:        mike smith <mike@smith.net.au>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: integrated support for iomega zip via parallel port

> >Crossposting to -hackers, -current and -stable is always a bad idea.
>
> My apologies; it just seemed to fit into all categories... the hard core
> techies, those tracking stable (like me) and the less faint-of-heart in
> current, where i suspected that the driver may already be patially
> integrated.

... so you get us all three times.  It's always a mistake.

> >> Are there any plans to put the driver for the iomega zip and parallel
> port
> >> transfers into the kernel? I'm running stable right now, and it's a bit
> of a
> >> pain to merge the Linux port into the tree every time i want to do a
> kernel
> >> build after a cvs update :)
> >
> >Er, what "Linux port" did you have in mind?
>
> The one that is mentioned in the FAQ. :)
>
> http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/ppa3.html

I don't think there's much chance of that driver making it in, no.
Even the author doesn't like it.

> I'd be happy to hook my ZIP to my spare development machine and try to kick
> the shit out of the driver... i'm not a great C programmer, but i have a
> strong need to use my ZIP drive for FreeBSD and am willing to invest
> whatever volunteer time i can in whatever capacity i can be of use, like
> testing...

OK; basically you need to bring back the 'ppbus' stuff from -current,
which is everything in sys/dev/ppbus, as well as the related changes to
sys/conf/files, and the chipset driver in sys/i386/isa and related
changes to sys/i386/conf/*.

If you need more specific help, let me know off the list.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\