Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:25:10 +0100
From:      rene@xs4all.nl
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   uscanner Acerscan 620U not detected while present (Frustrating! plz help!)

Maybe usb-bsd is a bit dead... :((
So I'm reposting it here..
I've had 0 replies there..

see also
http://lists.inteltec.com/wws/arc/usb-bsd/2002-01/msg00010.html

From: rene@xs4all.nl
To: usb-bsd@eleetbsd.org
Subject: uscanner Acerscan 620U not detected while present
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:45:49 +0100

I am soooooo fed up with this little problem I'm having of not having my
FreeBSD detect my Acerscan 620U scanner... PLEASE gimme some detailed help
here.

What I want to know most is if my USB circuit is functioning properly, as the
motherboard is an Asus P5A, which is kinda old. Another Asus board I have
from
the same period has fatal problems with USB...

I am eagerly awaiting help...

diagnostics I could think of, all ran under root privs:

 $ dmesg | grep usb
usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
usb0: <AcerLabs M5237 (Aladdin-V) USB controller> on ohci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0

 $ ls -al /dev/usc*
crw-rw----  1 root  operator  156,   0 Jan  3 19:34 /dev/uscanner0

 $ grep 620U /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/uscanner.c
        { USB_VENDOR_ACERP, USB_PRODUCT_ACERP_ACERSCAN_620U },

 { (/usr/ports/graphics/sane-backends/work/sane-backends-1.0.6 ) }-
 $ tools/sane-find-scanner -v
# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
# Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
# that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
# is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.

sane-find-scanner: searching for SCSI scanners:
<omitted for irrelevancy>
sane-find-scanner: searching for USB scanners:
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uscanner... failed to open (status 4)
sane-find-scanner: checking /dev/uscanner0... failed to open (status 4)
<same result for uscanner1-15>
sane-find-scanner: done