Date:      Thu, 25 May 2006 08:26:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
To:        Andrea Modesto Rossi <andreamodesto.rossi01@ateneopv.it>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org, freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBsd on my Ultra Sparc 5

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Andrea Modesto Rossi wrote:

> Hello World :-) !
>
> Can i install FreeBSD 6.0 on my Workstatio Sparc ULTRA5 360Mhz ???

I think the list you want is  freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org.  There is no
"sparc" port.  The U5 is sparc64-* hardware.

FreeBSD runs very well on the Ultra5, but not in the function the U5 was
intended for by Sun (workstation).  There is no VGA console/X11 support to
my knowledge.

Performance is as to be expected for a 360mhz RISC chip.

I recommend replacing the original IDE disks with a 7200 RPM drive and an
ATA100 capable cable to get additional speed.  I think the controller is
limited to UDMA3 or UDMA2, but even still its better than the OEM drive.

~BAS