Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:12:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        <hymette@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I/O question

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 hymette@wanadoo.fr wrote:

> I'd like to realize a home made electronic  device to collect
> meteorological data and display it in an application in my FreeBSD 4.7
> system. However this would be my first attempt in this field and I don't
> know where to start. It seems that there are lots of documentation on
> how to proceed connecting small processors and ROM onto a Windows
> system. But what about FreeBSD ? Which port would be more appropriate
> (I'd prefer to use an USB port if it's not too tricky for a begginner)?
> Where could I get a clear introduction to this I/O thing ?

For interfacing random hardware to USB ports, I like the FTDI FT245 chips
(see http://www.ftdichip.com ).  I normally talk to them from FreeBSD
through the ugen driver; the uftdi driver should be a more specific
solution, but it didn't seem to work too well last time I tried it (and I
had already developed a lot of stuff using ugen before uftdi appeared).

You can buy pre-assembled boards with the FTDI parts and related support
components - giving you a simple bidirectional 8-bits plus strobe/ready,
including a version with a Scenix/Ubicom SX48 (PIC-alike) MCU attached.
The latter make great universal do-anything interfaces for small volume
products.

See http://www.gigatechnology.com/  or http://www.dlpdesign.com/ for
suppliers of such boards.