Date:      Fri, 19 May 2023 07:59:08 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: How to disable the lights on modern case fans

On Fri, 2023-05-19 at 00:56 -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> (as always DIY built) [snip] How do I turn the damned things off

Hi,

you probably already know the answer. It depends and in the worst case
the answer is "You would have to go inside the fan housing and trace the
wiring".

Btw. I DIY build my PCs, too and when I bought the parts for my new PC
this year in March, I cared about the parts I bought. There are a few
pitfalls, since a lot of information isn't provided. For example, I
ensured that the firmware provides BIOS legacy mode. It does, but when I
try to enable it, it doesn't work. The culprit is the integrated GPU of
the intel CPU. It is only possible to enable legacy BIOS, when using
another GPU. This information is hard to get. The workaround is, that I
migrated from syslinux to grub and stay with UEFI. I hate grub. My new
PC case is terrible. For example, it doesn't fix in place PCIe cards at
the unscrewed end. There's no workaround for this issue. There are way
more issues with my new machine due to missing information. I don't
suffer from fans with RGB LEDs, since it's usually impossible to miss
this information. I wonder why somebody does buy fans with RGB LEDs in
the first place.

Regards,
Ralf