Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:53:22 -0400
From:      Adam Martin <adamartin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Party

On 2006 Sep 21 , at 05:16, Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:

> Adam Martin wrote:
> [snip]
>>     Boy, between spam, sshd-bruteforce attempts, and tons of other
>> stuff.... the 'net has become such an annoying place these days.
>> Every
>> year this stuff seems to just get worse... *sigh*  All this net-trash
>> gives me a headache.  What a waste of technology, resources, and
>> bandwidth.
>
> What bothers me is that all these probes, scans, spams etc still
> succeeds in some cases, otherwise nobody would be doing them.
> As long as people click on spamlinks and leave their systems open to
> automated intrusion, we will have to live with this kind of behavior.
> But, as you say, it is a damn waste.

	I think it's just that I pine for better days.  Just 5 years ago, this
behaviour was restricted mostly to Windoze systems.  5 years before
that, the notion of net-wide "evil traffic" as a constant background
noise was far fetched.  And just 5 years before that, 15 years ago, the
notion of loads of background evil traffic was, as far as I recall,
appalling.

	After the whole of that spam episode, combined with several spikes in
local ssh-bruteforce attempts... I just felt despondent.  I still do.
It seems like the whole 'net has gone to hell in a handbasket.  So as I
said, I pine for better days.  But I think I am a curmudgeon these days
:-)

Regards,

--
Adam David Alan Martin