Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:53:21 -0600 (EST)
From:      Jason Andrew Godfrey <godfreja@acm.cs.uwec.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 / non-intel chipsets / nvidia concern

Hello.

I'm currently running 3.0-RELEASE (will be upgrading to 3.1 as soon as I
get the CD's). I want to buy a new video card, but I have some concerns I
was hoping someone here may be able to address.

I am thinking about buying a video card with an nvidia TNT chip (AGP).
According to the XFree86 page it is supported. However, I've heard rumors
that the nvidia has probelms with non-intel motherboard chipsets. I have a
Via Apollo MVP3 chipset on my motherboard. According to what I have
heard, the problem is due to not quite correct AGP support on the
chipsets. The problem results in the computer locking up as the OS is
booted. The problem is apparently resolved by motherboard drivers for
Windows. Obviously I won't be able to use those drivers.

So, my question is: Does anyone here have experience running XFree86 with
an nvidia tnt based card and a non intel (or specifically Via Apollo MVP3)
chipeset?

Thanks
-- Jason

godfreja@acm.cs.uwec.edu