Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:59:40 +0100
From:      Henri Hennebert <hlh@restart.be>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9 & recompile ports
References:  <CA%2BdUSyrV_j8GtxS4=yN-DsFCprQ7N%2BEmuRoraDwBLZN1EFFR9w@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BdUSyqZVVyVkVWTPJXJe921NcZ3RaEN9QojH55NhRNP8xDinA@mail.gmail.com> <4F10009A.7000307@FreeBSD.org> <4F100D9E.80807@FreeBSD.org> <CA%2BdUSyrFVn0skisgeJ1pYjHN3wCXC2tqDPoMoqWNqkjAk8DVmA@mail.gmail.com> <4F10B1AD.9000400@FreeBSD.org> <4F10B6C9.8010607@FreeBSD.org> <4F1140DD.4040300@infracaninophile.co.uk> <4F1158EC.8070803@restart.be> <20120114103741.GA1936@icarus.home.lan>

------->                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> after 9.0-BETA2 and make delete-old-libs:
>>
>> libsbuf.so.5	libsbuf.so.6
>> libz.so.5	libz.so.6
>> libutil.so.8	libutil.so.9
>> libcam.so.5	libcam.so.6
>> libpcap.so.7	libpcap.so.8
>> libufs.so.5	libufs.so.6
>> libbsnmp.so.5	libbsnmp.so.6
>> libdwarf.so.2	libdwarf.so.3
>> libopie.so.6	libopie.so.7
>> librtld_db.so.1	librtld_db.so.2
>> libtacplus.so.4	libtacplus.so.5
>
> This is very, VERY, ***VERY*** dangerous.  Apparently nobody has
> explained why, so I will:
>
> When a linked library version number (N of libfoo.so.N) increases or
> changes, it indicates there are API/ABI changes to the library.  There
> is absolutely ZERO guarantee that calling semantics are the same, that
> function arguments (thus stack order) are the same, or that structures
> used internally by the library are the same.  The effects of this can be
> devastating -- if you're lucky it'll consist of just "missing symbol",
> but it can be a lot worse.  The TL;DR version is: there is absolutely
> ZERO guarantee that the internal operations and calling semantics of the
> libraries are identical.
>
> Folks reading this thread, PLEASE do not follow the above advice and
> leave your system running in that kind of state.  Instead of being lazy,

I don't want to argue too much, but you don't read me correctly.
I just do this during the time I REINSTALL ALL PORTS and then I delete
/etc/libmap.conf, of course, I'm not crazy!