Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 15:03:32 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Dani Vives <dani@julia.qf.ub.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modems

Dani Vives wrote:

> Hi. I'm a new FreeBSD user. I'm trying to install a PCTel HSP internal
> modem on COM4 that works well under W95. Compiling a new kernel is not
> enough as there is a problem of IRQ. Where could I find a solution?

This isn't a WinModem is it? IIRC someone said a while ago that "HSP"
meant Host Signal Processing, i.e. it's a WinModem that only works under
Windows. If this is the case then it won't work under FreeBSD.

BTW, I read somewhere that the Linux people had written a driver that
allows WinModems to work under Linux. Anyone have any info on this, and
could it be ported to FreeBSD?

> Daniel Vives
> Spain

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.